Strong winds were forecast in the East, Richard and I decided to travel West to Aonach Mor. Bit of a relief when we heard the Cairngorm ski area was closed but a bit of frustration to find the Nevis Range Gondola on hold until 11am due to a SE wind blowing down the line. We then headed back East stopping off at Creag Dhu. The small car park was full with three teams already climbing what looked like 1 pitch of grade III before traversing out to easy ground to abseil. Richard and I opted for a wee ice route further up the gully past Qui Qui which went at about II/III, thin in places.
The 1 pitch of Qui Qui looks good and had numerous ascents, dont be fooled by the pictures with an air temperature of 4' and lots of water running down the free hanging icicles i valued life rather than a pitch of grade III. Would recommend a very early start after a frost to get safe conditions, hopefully the cold weather will continue.